Since the start of my DPhil I have deliberately undertaken a wide variety of undergraduate teaching in order to gain experience and in order to sharpen my own understanding. This has been great fun and very educational.
Courses that I have tutored include:
- Physics for Chemists (1st year).
- Maths for Chemists (1st year).
- Physical Chemistry (2nd year). All topics for the Part IA exams.
- Group Theory (2nd year, part of Inorganic Chemistry).
- Physical Chemistry (3rd year). Topics in Quantum Mechanics, Magnetic Resonance and Lasers for Part IB and Option Paper exams.
All of this work was undertaken for various Oxford colleges. I was responsible for arranging the problem sets and venues, for setting and marking collections (termly college-based exams) and for the tutorials themselves.
In the 2007-2008 academic year, I am teaching for St John’s College and Merton College.