I am a physical chemist. My research is centred around magnetic resonance phenomena and spectroscopy – both experiment and theory. I have taught undergraduate chemistry students in Oxford since 2003.
Principal areas of interest
- 31P in vivo magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- Magnetic â€ścompassâ€? sense of birds
- Magnetic field effects on chemical reactions (â€śSpin Chemistryâ€?)
- Applications of lasers in chemistry
- â€śEffects of disorder and motion in a radical pair magnetoreceptorâ€?. J. R. Soc. Interface 2010
- â€śDerivatives of spin dynamics simulationsâ€?. Accepted for publication by J. Chem. Phys., 2009. [ArXiv]
- â€śReceive array magnetic resonance spectroscopy: Whitened Singular Valued Decomposition (WSVD) gives optimal Bayesian solutionâ€?. Accepted for publication by Mag. Resn. Med., 2009.
- â€śRadiofrequency polarization effects in low-field electron paramagnetic resonanceâ€?. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2009.
- â€śRadiofrequency polarization effects in zero-field electron paramagnetic resonanceâ€?. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2009. (Featured on journal cover.)
- â€śMagnetic Compass of Birds Is Based on a Molecule with Optimal Directional Sensitivityâ€?. BioPhys J., 96(8), 3451-3457, 2009. (“Featured Article”)
- â€śMagnetic field effects in chemical systemsâ€?. Pure. Appl. Chem., 2009. [Publisher’s site] [DOI link]
- â€śChemical magnetoreception in birds: The radical pair mechanismâ€?. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA), 2009.
- â€śChemical compass model of avian magnetoreceptionâ€?. Nature, 2008.
- â€śDistance Measurements in the Borderline Region of Applicability of CW EPR and DEER: A Model Study on a Homologous Series of Spin-Labelled Peptidesâ€?. J. E. Banham, C. M. Baker, S. Ceola, I. J. Day, G. H. Grant, E. J. J. Groenen, C. T. Rodgers, G. Jeschke and C. R. Timmel. J Mag Res 191 (2008) 202-218.
- â€śDetermination of radical re-encounter probability distributions from magnetic field effects on reaction yieldsâ€?. J. Am. Chem. Soc, 2007.
- â€śThe Spin Chemistry of Bird Navigationâ€?. In proceedings of the ISMS2005 conference, Yokohama, Japan.
- â€śLow-field optically detected EPR spectroscopy of transient photoinduced radical pairsâ€? J. Phys. Chem. A, 109, 5035â€“41, 2005.
- â€śThe avian geomagnetic sense: theoretical studies on a proposed origin through the Radical Pair Mechanismâ€? In proceedings of the Royal Institute of Navigation conference 2005, Reading, UK.
- â€śRadio Frequency Magnetic Field Effects on a Radical Recombination Reaction: A Diagnostic Test for the Radical Pair Mechanismâ€? J. Am. Chem. Soc., 126(26), 8102, 2004.
Presentations and posters
|Oct 2009||Spoke at ESMRMB 2009, Turkey: â€śSpectroscopy with receive arrays: how to combine the signalsâ€?.|
|Sep 2009||Poster at the Oxford Imaging Festival.|
|Aug 2009||Flash oral presentation and poster at IUPAC 2009 congress, where I received the IUPAC Prize for Young Chemists 2008.|
|Apr 2009||E-poster at â€śISMRM 2009â€?, USA: â€śMagnetic resonance spectroscopy with receive arrays: How to combine the signalsâ€?.|
|Mar 2009||Invited public lecture for National Science Week at Kingston Grammar School, UK.|
|Mar 2009||Invited speaker giving a departmental seminar at the University of Sussex, UK.|
|Jan 2009||Invited speaker at the first workshop on Quantum Technology in Biological Systems, Singapore.|
|Sep 2008||Poster at the Oxford Imaging Festival.|
|Dec 2007||I presented a poster â€śThe road to state-selected ultracold chemistry of CH3Fâ€? at the annual meeting of the RSC’s Spectroscopy and Dynamics Group (SDG2007), Norwich, UK.|
|Oct 2007||Invited lecture at the Bracknell Natural History Society (2 x 45min with break for questions).|
|Mar 2007||I gave one of three JEOL prize lectures at the ESR2007 conference.|
|Dec 2006||I was invited to speak about my work in a workshop at the Physics Department of the University of Southern Denmark in Odense.|
|Dec 2006||I won joint first prize for a presentation of my work at the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences division graduate prize symposium competition.|
|Nov 2005||I spoke at a â€śJapan-UK Student Mini-Symposium on Magneto-Scienceâ€? in Hiroshima University. I also gave a talk to the group of Prof Hisao Murai in Shizuoka University.|
|Nov 2005||I presented a poster â€śThe Spin Chemistry of Bird Navigationâ€? at the International Symposium on Magnetoscience 2005, Japan.|
|Sep 2005||I spoke in full session at the Spin Chemistry Meeting 2005 here in Oxford. I was one of only two graduate students to speak at the conference.|
|Apr 2005||I spoke at the Royal Institute of Navigation conference in Reading about â€śThe Radical Pair Mechanism in avian magnetoreceptionâ€?. This was a fifteen minute talk in full session, followed by questions. Two of the delegates described this talk as â€śvery illuminatingâ€? and a â€śvery clear explanation of the free radical mechanismâ€? in e-mails sent to me later.|
|I have spoken about my work to sixth form students at my former school. I speak annually at my research group seminars.|